I am looking for comments/feedback from anyone who has gone through a media conversion project converting microfilm/microfiche jackets to digital. We have a goal to convert some of our records and intend to destroy the microfilm following successful conversion, so I have questions related to the successful management of a project like this.
- Please describe your microfilm conversion project and what types of media you converted.
- Was the conversion work performed at your location or at a vendor location?
- What percentage of the converted images did you review as a double check?
- Did you start at a certain level of quality check and were you able to scale it back after some time? Please explain.
- Were any images on film missed for conversion, and if so, how were these identified and resolved?
- How much effort was required managing microfilm going out/coming back, retrievals against microfilm at the vendor, and reviewing the converted images received?
- Did you have to retrieve any documents during the project? If so, how well did that process go?
- Did you use a courier service for transporting records to the vendor? Did it work well? Please describe the process used.
- Overall, what went well?
- What didn’t go as well as expected?
- Is there anything you would do differently? Any recommendations for success?
Thank you so much for considering providing input on your media conversion project. All comments are very much appreciated!